Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Coelacanth .... the song

Today I start posting about a song everyday. Today we'll take a look at the lead off track - "Coelacanth"

Dreamed I was an ancient fish swimming in the sea.
Nothing ever changes here, nothing except me.
One day soon I know that they will come looking for me saying
everything's been changing here, everything but me.


This is it, the crux of the album. I wrote it quickly on a hot summer night and I recorded it on my phone to make sure I wouldn't forget it. I recorded the song multiple times afterward and for a long time none of them lived up to the original. The original will appear on the DVD of the special edition.

I have always hated songs that are about the hard life of rock stardom. In line with that I must state that I love Joe Walsh's Life's Been Good To Me So Far. I liken the song Coelacanthto the lines "It's tough to handle all this fortune and fame. Everybody's so different. I haven't changed."

This song, and this album, is all about change, a change I need to make, but in order to do so I need to let go of a lot of pain, and a lot of baggage, and start the slow process of becoming a better, more open, well-rounded person.

No comments:

Post a Comment