Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Satanic Mechanic

Satanic Mechanic started many years ago as an attempt by a colleague and I to write a modern day blues tune, one about selling your soul to the devil. We were brainstorming and thought that maybe these days the devil drove a big black sport utility vehicle instead of a big black Cadillac. The original lyrics went "I know he's coming, he's coming for me rolling along in that SUV. He should be driving a Cadillac. It ain't that long, but it sure is black." A version with these lyrics will be available on the extras DVD that comes with the deluxe version of the album.

The lines "Don't want to die. Don't want to die alone. Don't want to lay in the garden of stone. That's why I call you on the phone, cell phone towers, they guide me home." is an homage to Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska album on which two tunes make reference to towers guiding him home. One being the refinery towers and one being radio towers.

I'd like to think that this song has an overarching Nebraska feel to it. I think of it as about a good man forced to make a hard decision and now he has to pay for it or die running from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment