Thursday, July 16, 2009

THE BEAST!











THE BEAST
, My friends is a Lowrey Organ that I acquired for free many years ago now. I was working the floor at the drum shop and a call came in asking if we would take an organ. I said that the shop did not, but asked the older woman on the other end of the line what she wanted for it. She told me that it was free to anyone who would come pick it up. The following Sunday my Father and I wrestled this behemoth down the steep and narrow staircase of a condo. We narrowly avoided hitting her walls on the way down, and at one point my Father nearly swung the Lowrey into the lady's TV. From then on it has lived in the basement on 2nd St., the basement of my Father's new house where it was continuously abused by his Grandkids-In-Law, and finally in it's proper station in my basement studio, The Communist Day Care Center.

This instrument is being heavily featured on this album and I am having a blast finding all the different tones I can get out of it. Just wait until you hear the bite on "Lazy Sunday"! So without further ado - A pictorial of THE BEAST!


The other day I was working on recording the organ track for "Restocking Fee" and one of the C#'s on the upper manual (keyboard) was sticking. I'd had this trouble before and I decided that I would open up the back of the organ, something I hadn't done before. I figured I would be able to access and fix the key easily and I would get a good look at the electronics, as one of my recent ideas was that I could get in there and do a point to point cleaning so that all the connections would be good and the sound
would improve. This is what I found.











fa

















There is no way I'm going through and cleaning all of that. Not only would it have to be amazingly meticulous and time consuming, but I'm almost certain to knock a wire loose and have no clue of where it came from.

The Lowrey does have a Leslie Speaker as you can see. I thought I'd point that out because it's pretty sweet. It also has a place to connect an external Leslie as well.


Oh Crap! I shouldn't have told them it was a Lowrey! Oh Crap! I shouldn't have told them it was on the album! Oh Crap! I certainly shouldn't have said it was "Lazy Sunday," and "Restocking Fee!" ......It's too hot today.

No comments:

Post a Comment