Sunday, September 6, 2009

4:10 (Sure)

4:10 (Sure) was created in 12 hours. One night at 4:10 am responded with "Sure" and sealed an inevitability. By noon the next day the song was written, and by 4 pm the demo was recorded. It was the right answer, but the wrong situation. I'm not the kind of guy that says "Don't." I am also not the most interesting guy at the table.

The album version of this song is actually recorded from the demo. Both of the guitar tracks and the organ track are in the original recording. I attempted to start the song from scratch, but after laying down about 5 guitar tracks and trying all sorts of methods I just could not get as good a sound as I got on that original demo. Thus I used the original demo file and rerecorded drums, vocals, and added bass.

If Lazy Sunday is the least personal song on the album, this one is the most personal song on the album. I look at the lyrics and think that some of them are hokey and cliche, but each one of them is linked to a memory during a very specific time my real life.

One left to go. Today is the day before labor day, which is the title of the demo CD that comes with the limited edition print version of The Day After Labor Day. If you were interested in hearing that demo, well it's on there. www.dandylyonwhine.net

No comments:

Post a Comment