Monday, September 7, 2009

Restocking Fee

I'm putting this one up early because the ALBUM DROPS AT MIDNIGHT!

Restocking Fee is certainly the capstone of the album. If there is a thinly woven concept throughout then this song is the plot summary. It is the embodiment of my writing style, which I characterize as simple, standard, yet beautifully voiced chord progressions and desperate, hopeless lyrics.

The title comes from the fact that I bought a chest freezer I was going to convert into a kegerator that ended up not working out. I had to return it, and of course there was a restocking fee. The term just seemed to fit. The very first demo I made of the song included the voicemail message I got from her explaining the return policy and etc. Unfortunately I am not sure exactly what happened to that version or else it would have ended up on The Day Before Labor Day.


So, that's it. 9 tunes, 1 album, 1 summer, no rest. Back to regular life, the grind, and no recovery over the last 3 months. Tomorrow is the day after labor day, the day you go back to school, the first day of fall. Summer is over and it is time to start working again, pick yourself up by the bootstraps and go onward. It is the end of the childhood; The end of innocence. It is the time to realize there is nothing out there you can count on but yourself, that anything can change at any moment, and nothing is worth relying on. If it needs to get done you need do it. It's time to grow up and it is time to start being a man.

No comments:

Post a Comment